Metaphor 原演讲音频

2023-05-17 12:10:0706:39 54
所属专辑:TEM 4之 Talk
声音简介

2023TEM 8 Mini-lecture 材料源头之一:James Geary的TED演讲


Metaphor lives a secret life all around us.暗喻秘密地生活在我们中间。


We utter about six metaphors a minute.于我们的言谈中,每分钟大约会出现六个暗喻。


Metaphorical thinking is essential to how we understand ourselves and others,


暗喻思维是一把钥匙,它可以开启我们相互理解


how we communicate, learn, discover and invent.沟通、学习、发现和创新的大门。


But metaphor is a way of thought before it is a way with words.暗喻是一种思维方式。


Now, to assist me in explaining this, I've enlisted the help of one of our greatest philosophers,


为了说明这一点,我请教了一位当代最伟大的哲学家,


the reigning king of the metaphorians, a man whose contributions to the field are so great that he himself has become a metaphor.当权的暗喻皇帝,一位因其对暗喻学的巨大贡献而自身成了一位暗喻的人物。


I am, of course, referring to none other than Elvis Presley.当然,我指的不是别人,正是猫王埃尔维斯-普雷斯利。


Now, "All Shook Up" is a great love song.《神魂颠倒》(意即整个人都被动摇了)是一首经典情歌。


It's also a great example of how whenever we deal with anything abstract


也是一个极好的暗喻范例,它诠释了当我们面临抽象事物时,


ideas, emotions, feelings, concepts, thoughts -- we inevitably resort to metaphor.


无论是主意、情绪、感觉、概念亦或是思想,都不得不求助于暗喻。


In "All Shook Up," a touch is not a touch, but a chill.


在《神魂颠倒》中,触摸不再是触摸,而是寒气。


Lips are not lips, but volcanoes. She is not she, but a buttercup.


嘴唇不再是嘴唇,而是火山。她不再是她,而是毛茛花(一种小黄花)。


And love is not love, but being all shook up.


爱情也不再是爱情,而是变得神魂颠倒了。


In this, Elvis is following Aristotle's classic definition of metaphor


在这里,埃尔维斯采用的完全是亚里士多德对暗喻的经典定义,


as the process of giving the thing a name that belongs to something else.


亦即是把B事物的名称赋予给A事物的过程。


This is the mathematics of metaphor. And fortunately it's very simple. X equals Y.


这就是暗喻的数学公式。幸好它很简单。X等于Y。


This formula works wherever metaphor is present. 这个公式适用于所有的暗喻。


Elvis uses it, but so does Shakespeare in this famous line from "Romeo and Juliet:" Juliet is the sun.埃尔维斯用到它,莎士比亚也同样用到它,《罗密欧与朱丽叶》中名句:朱丽叶是太阳。


Now, here, Shakespeare gives the thing, Juliet, a name that belongs to something else, the sun.


在这里莎士比亚赋予朱丽叶一个属于其它事物的名称,太阳。


But whenever we give a thing a name that belongs to something else, we give it a whole network of analogies too.但是当我们赋予A事物以B事物的名称时,我们也赋予它一整套的类比。


We mix and match what we know about the metaphor's source, in this case the sun, with what we know about its target, Juliet.我们把对喻体的认知,此处是太阳,与对本体的认知--朱丽叶联系在一起,


And metaphor gives us a much more vivid understanding of Juliet than if Shakespeare had literally described what she looks like.


这样的暗喻可使我们更生动地理解朱丽叶,强过莎士比亚忠实地描述她的相貌。


So, how do we make and understand metaphors? This might look familiar.


那我们如何运用和理解暗喻呢?大家对此并不陌生。


The first step is pattern recognition. Look at this image. What do you see?


第一步就是模式识别。请看这张图。你看到了什么?


Three wayward Pac-Men, and three pointy brackets are actually present.


其实只有三个在外沿的吃豆人和三个尖角括号而已。


What we see, however, are two overlapping triangles.


但我们实际看到的是两个重叠的三角形。


Metaphor is not just the detection of patterns; it is the creation of patterns.


暗喻不仅仅是模式辨识,也是模式创造。


Second step, conceptual synesthesia.第二步,概念联觉。


Now, synesthesia is the experience of a stimulus in once sense organ in another sense organ as well, such as colored hearing.


联觉是指一种感官受到的刺激引起另一种感官的感受,例如色彩听觉。


People with colored hearing actually see colors when they hear the sounds of words or letters.


有色彩听觉的人就会在听到词语的声音时将会看到色彩。


We all have synesthetic abilities. This is the Bouba/Kiki test.


我们都拥有联觉的能力。这是Bouba/Kiki测试。


What you have to do is identify which of these shapes is called Bouba, and which is called Kiki.  请你说出哪个形状叫Bouba, 哪个叫Kiki。


If you are like 98 percent of other people,如果你象其余百分之九十八的人一样,


you will identify the round, amoeboid shape as Bouba, and the sharp, spiky one as Kiki.


你会把这个圆圆的,变形虫形状的叫做Bouba,把尖尖的,刺猬状的叫做Kiki。


Can we do a quick show of hands? Does that correspond?是这样的请举手?是不象我说的那样


Okay, I think 99.9 would about cover it. Why do we do that?大概99.9%是那样。这是为什么?


Because we instinctively find, or create, a pattern between the round shape and the round sound of Bouba,


因为我们本能地去找寻,或者创造一个模式,把圆的图形与Bouba这个圆的声音联系起来。


and the spiky shape and the spiky sound of Kiki.对尖的图形和尖的声音Kiki也是如此。


And many of the metaphors we use everyday are synesthetic. Silence is sweet.


我们日常生活中的暗喻多是联觉性的:沉默是甜的(抑或沉默是金)。


Neckties are loud. Sexually attractive people are hot.


领结是花骚的。性感的人是火辣的。Sexually unattractive people leave us cold.而不性感的人让我们觉得冷冰冰的。


Metaphor creates a kind of conceptual synesthesia,暗喻构筑了一个概念联觉的空间,


in which we understand one concept in the context of another.用一种概念的情境理解另一概念。


Third step is cognitive dissonance. This is the Stroop test.第三步是认知失调。这是Stroop测试。


What you need to do here is identify as quickly as possible请你尽快指出构成这些词的字母


the color of the ink in which these words are printed. You can take the test now.


在图片中实际的颜色。就从现在开始。


If you're like most people,如果你和大多数人一样,


you will experience a moment of cognitive dissonance when the name of the color is printed in a differently colored ink.颜色的名称和图片中实际的颜色不符,会使你暂时地认知失调。


The test shows that we cannot ignore the literal meaning of words


这个测试表明我们无法忽视这些词的字面意义,


even when the literal meaning gives the wrong answer.尽管字面意义上的答案是错误的。


Stroop tests have been done with metaphor as well.   Stroop效应测试也曾被用于暗喻上,


The participants had to identify, as quickly as possible, the literally false sentences.


受试者需要尽快地辨识那些字面上错误的句子,其中包括暗喻。


They took longer to reject metaphors as false than they did to reject literally false sentences.


他们要花更长的时间才能把包含暗喻的句子从中挑出来。


Why? Because we cannot ignore the metaphorical meaning of words either.


这是为什么?因为我们同样也不能忽视这些词暗喻的意义。


One of the sentences was, "Some jobs are jails."“有些工作是监狱”


Now, unless you're a prison guard, the sentence "Some jobs are jails" is literally false.


当然,除非你是监狱看守,“有些工作是监狱”这句话字面上是错的。


Sadly, it's metaphorically true.不幸却在暗喻上是对的


And the metaphorical truth interferes with our ability to identify it as literally false.


而暗喻上的真实干扰了我们的辨识能力,以至于难于区分字面上的真假。


Metaphor matters because it's around us every day, all the time.


暗喻很重要,因它随时随地,无处不在。


Metaphor matters because it creates expectations.暗喻很重要,因它带来期待


Pay careful attention the next time you read the financial news.下次你看财经新闻可要注意,


Agent metaphors describe price movements as the deliberate action of a living thing, as in, "The NASDAQ climbed higher."


拟人化的暗喻用来描述价格运动,就像是有人有意那么做。比如:“NASDAQ指数攀至新高”


Object metaphors describe price movements as non-living things, as in, "The Dow fell like a brick."


拟物化的暗喻用物体来描述价格运动,比如:'道琼斯指数象砖头一样下跌。'


Researchers asked a group of people to read a clutch of market commentaries, and then predict the next day's price trend.研究人员请一群人在读了一些股评之后,来预测第二天的股价走势。


Those exposed to agent metaphors had higher expectations that price trends would continue.


那些读过拟人化暗喻的人更多地期待股价走势会持续。


And they had those expectations because agent metaphors imply the deliberate action of a living thing pursuing a goal.而他们这样期待是由于拟人化的隐喻暗示了有人在刻意追逐一个目标。


If, for example, house prices are routinely described as climbing and climbing,


如果房价总是被说成是不断攀升,


higher and higher, people might naturally assume that that rise is unstoppable.


越走越高,人们自然会以为房价上升势不可挡。


They may feel confident, say, in taking out mortgages they really can't afford.


他们会感觉良好,以至于背负超过支付能力的按揭。


That's a hypothetical example of course. But this is how metaphor misleads.


当然这只是个虚构的例子。但是暗喻确实会这样误导人。


Metaphor also matters because it influences decisions by activating analogies.


暗喻很重要,因为它通过激活类比机制来影响决策。







用户评论

表情0/300
喵,没有找到相关结果~
暂时没有评论,下载喜马拉雅与主播互动
音频列表
猜你喜欢
原原心语

大空性大安定大清明大透气

by:幸福知源

原神原声带

本专辑准备收录原神的各种cg和角色演示的原声带,以及配乐哦~原神yyds!

by:暧猫喵喵

原原|优势变现

起心动念皆是因,当下所受皆是果。觉察和捕捉当下一些好的念头,这可能是你一段有意义的经历的开端。原原要把自己一些好的念头,感悟分享在这个专家里面,也希望和大家一起...

by:明原君康

原乡

作者杨素筠用充满诗情的语言,描述了川西北阿坝州这篇大地上神秘的民族传统、古老的石碉房、纯朴的当地人以及美丽的四季风光。我被这优美的文字深深地吸引,对那片美丽的大...

by:若谷浮声

原神

原神专辑呢,在这里和大家说再见了,因为学习原因,喜马会退一点时间,同时也感谢大家对原神的喜爱,旅行者们,我在提瓦特大陆等着你们

by:周一家的茶茶

原神

二次元游戏—原神解说

by:漓雲

原神

终于同学们热烈推荐

by:快乐鸟儿有虫吃_龙呆

原神

本专辑是原神,非常有趣,欢迎大家来到这里收听,非原创但很优质

by:恋屿_沈慕涵