67走遍美国_The Community Center ACT I

2024-02-07 23:26:2605:06 35.1万
声音简介

Morning, Grandpa. 早安,爷爷。
Is something the matter, Grandpa?  怎么了,爷爷?
The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset.  
这张报纸上的社论着实令我朋友Nat Baker不高兴。
Ah! I'll read it to you.  啊!我来读给你听听。
"The old library building on Chestnut Street,  
“Chestnut街老图书馆
which has been vacant for over a year now,  已空了一年多,
was supposed to be made into a community center  
原计划改成一个社区活动中心,
to serve the senior citizens 
为Riverdale的老年人
as well as the younger people of Riverdale.
以及年轻人服务。
Due to lack of funds   由于缺乏经费,
for the repainting of the interior of the building  
包括用来重新粉刷内部
and for the furniture needed, 
和购买必需家俱的经费,
the plans for the community center   
这项修建社区中心的计划
have been postponed indefinitely." 
被迫无限期延缓。”
He's coming over to talk about it.  
他就是要来谈这个问题。
Is it that serious a problem, Grandpa? 
这个问题有那么重要吗,爷爷?
It is.  是的。
Nat's not as lucky as I am, Robbie.  
Nat不像我这样幸运,Robbie。
He doesn't have any family with him.  
他没有家人和他在一起。
He lives alone  他过着单身生活,
and depends on places like a community center  
主要靠社区中心这样的地方
to be with people--people his own age.  
和别人交往——像他那般年纪的人。
But there's the old community center on Elm Street.  
不是在Elm街有一个旧社区中心。
It's small,  但它太小,
and the problem is that it's set up primarily for kids to play. 
而问题是,它主要适合孩子们去玩的。
Ping-Pong tables, soda machines, and lots of music.  
乒乓球台,汽水贩卖机,吵闹的音乐。
It's too noisy for some older people like Nat.  
它对Nat这般老人来说太吵了。
I never realized that. 我从来没有体会到这点。
It's hard for some older people to take all that noise.  
一些老年人没办法忍受那些噪音。
That's why the new community center is a good idea.  
这就是为什么说建设新社区中心是个好设想。
Part of the building for older people,  
建筑的一部分给老年人用,
part of the building for younger people.  
另一部分给年轻人用。
I see what you mean. 我明白你的意思。
That must be Nat. 一定是Nat。
It could be Alexandra. 可能是 Alexandra。
She's coming over this morning to help me with my math.  
她今天早晨要过来帮我补习数学。
Hi, Robbie.  嗨!Robbie。
Hi, Alexandra. Come on in. 
 嗨,Alexandra 。请进。
Do you want something cold to drink?  
 你想喝点冷饮吗?
I'd love some cola, please.   请给我可乐。
Cola coming up.   可乐马上就来了。
I really appreciate you coming over to help me with my math.  
我真的很感谢你过来帮我补习数学。
My final exam is next Tuesday.  
期终考就在下周二。
You're so good in all your other subjects.   
你别的功课样样都好。
I just can't understand   我就不懂
why you have so many problems with math.  
为什么在数学方面你就问题多多。
Hi, Alexandra.  
嗨,Alexandra。
Hi, Mr. Stewart.   
嗨,Stewart 先生。
I thought that was Nat Baker who rang the front doorbell.  
我还以为是Nat Baker按前门铃呢。
Don't let me interrupt you. 别让我打搅你们。
No problem, Grandpa. 没有关系,爷爷。
We're just having some cola 
我们只是在喝点可乐,
before getting to the tough stuff--math. 
在对付难缠的事情——数学之前。
He'll do anything to avoid getting down to math lessons,  
他老是找借口,设法想逃避数学,
Mr. Stewart.  Stewart 先生。
I was the same way. 我当年也是这样。
Really, Grandpa?  真的,爷爷?
Really. I didn't like math.  真的。我不喜欢数学。
I wasn't good at it, and I didn't like studying it.  
我不精于此道,也不爱去学它。
But you had to be good at math.  但你数学一定得好。
You graduated from engineering school.  
你可是从工学院毕业的。
I was. But not in high school. 
说的对。只在高中时不好。
For some reason, I couldn't get a handle on it. 
由于未知原因,我就是开不窍。
Then, in college, I became good at it.  
然后,上了大学,我变得很精于数学。
Then there's hope for Robbie. 
看来Robbie 还有希望。
I can't wait.  我迫不及待就能如此。
You think I can just skip it now and get to it at college?  
我现在就绕过数学,等上大学再学,你觉得可以吗?
You'll never get to college to find out, Robbie, 
那你就也没机会上大学去探究这答案, Robbie,
if you skip it now.  假如你现在绕过它的话。
That must be Nat.  这一定是Nat。
Sit down, Robbie. Let's get to work.  
坐下来,Robbie,让我们开始做功课吧。
I'd like you to meet my friend Nat Baker.  
我来向你们介绍我的朋友Nat  Baker。
This is Alexandra Pappas, and this is my grandson Robbie,  
这是Alexandra  Pappas,这是我孙子Robbie,
whom I think you've met once or twice before.  
我想你以前见过他一两次面。
Nice to meet you, Mr. Baker.   
很高兴见到你,Baker先生。
Hi, Mr. Baker. We met before.  
嗨,Baker先生,我们以前见过面。
Where?   在哪里?
In town. At the hardware store.  
在镇上。在五金行里。
I remember now. Right. Hi.  
我现在想起来了。对了。嗨。
Hello, Alexandra.   哈罗,Alexandra。
Don't let us keep you from your math tutoring, Robbie.  
别让我们妨碍你的数学家教,Robbie。
I know you want to get to it.  我知道你们要开课啦。
Stay ... stay.   
再待一会儿……再一会儿。
I told you. He'll use any excuse to avoid math.
我说嘛,他就是要找各种借口来逃避数学。
Did you read the story in the paper, Malcolm?  
你看了报上的新闻吗,Malcolm?
I did.  看到了。
It's a serious matter for a lot of us.  
对我们许多人来说,这可是个严重的问题。
A serious matter.   一个严重的问题。
It is. Come on out to the patio.   
的确如此。请到院子里来吧,
We'll talk about it out there.  我们到外头谈。
Thanks. Nice to meet you ... again.  
谢谢。能相识很高兴……但愿再碰面。
What's the problem?   是什么问题?
Come on! You'll hear about it.   来吧!你来听听。


用户评论

表情0/300

华语乐谈MVP亲子播客

The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset.  

猜你喜欢
走遍美国

《走遍美国》(台译《欢乐美语》)(FamilyAlbumU.S.A.)是一套在大陆畅销数百万册、在全球35个国家同步使用的生活化美语教材。由美国新闻总署赞助...

by:何以解忧唯有学习

走遍美国

《走遍美国》(台译《欢乐美语》)(FamilyAlbumU.S.A.)是一套在大陆畅销数百万册、在全球35个国家同步使用的生活化美语教材。由美国新闻总署赞助...

by:江南西道小镇

走遍美国

走遍美国全书通过不同场景展现了美国人生活中所遇到的英文。此本书可作为英语口语入门教材和不断温习的教材。

by:渴望Harry

走遍美国

经典英语教材走遍美国,对口听力的帮助极大。需要每集大量的重复听说。

by:琼小妹

走遍美国

更多学习资料详见微信公众号:天涯芳草学习园地微博:@天涯芳草hr群号:661535142

by:教书匠MrHuang

走遍美国

《走遍美国》轻松,快乐学习生活口语,设计生活方方面面,帮助我们学会纯正美语,走遍美国。

by:porche小倩