69走遍美国_The Community Center ACT III

2024-02-09 20:25:2704:17 33.3万
声音简介

Hi, everyone. Sorry I'm late. 
嗨,各位好。很抱歉我迟到了。
But Alexandra and I  
但Alexandra和我
have been busy at work this morning  
一早上都在忙着
on the community-center project.  
为社区中心的事。
And we brought someone along who can help.  
我们还带来能帮助我们的人。
You remember Charles Maxwell, Grandpa?   
你记得Charles  Maxwell吗,爷爷?
He's the editor of the Riverdale paper.   
他是Riverdale报的编辑。
He wrote some nice articles on Mom   
他写过介绍妈妈的好文章,
when she was running for the school board. 
在妈妈竞选校董会席次时。
Yes, I remember. You were a great help.  
是的,我记得。你帮了大忙。
Hi, Mr. Stewart.  嗨,Stewart先生。
Hope to be a bigger help on the new community-center project. 
希望能在新社区中心这事提供更大的帮助。
From what Robbie and Alexandra have told me, 
从Robbie和Alexandra告诉我的情况来看,
you people are making one big story.  
你们正在创造一件大新闻。
Let me introduce you, Mr. Maxwell. 
让我给你介绍一下,Maxwell先生。
This is Nat Baker, 
这是Nat  Baker,
who's responsible for this meeting, 
也是这个会议的负责人,
and this is Joanne Thompson--and Abe Lucas,  
这是Joanne Thompson——还有Abe Lucas,
who used to run the drugstore in town.   
他过去在镇上经营药房。
Robbie and Alexandra told me   
Robbie和Alexandra告诉我
what you need to fix up the old library.   
你们修复旧图书馆所需要的东西。
I am planning to write an editorial that I think will help you. 
我计划写篇社论,我认为应该能帮助你们。
Let's go. What are your questions? 那就开始吧。你想问哪些问题?
OK. Now, I have ... first ... a couple of questions here.
好,现在,我有……第一……有这么几个问题。
Have you talked to the community council?
你们跟社区理事会谈过了吗?
And have you had an engineer come in to do an inspection?  
你们可有工程师来做过勘察吗?
OK, what do you need most of all?  
好,你们最需要的是什么?
People power. 人力。
Men and women, young and old, to give us their time. 
不管男女老幼,请他们抽空帮我们。
To do what?  做什么呢?
To help scrub the building interior clean.
帮忙把建筑的内部擦洗干净。
So that we can repaint it.  
好让我们可以重新粉刷。
And you also need bodies to do repainting? 
你们还需要人手来重新粉刷吗?
That's right.  要的。
And we'll also need some ladders  
我们还需要一些梯子、
and some brushes and some paint. 刷子和油漆。
When do you need the volunteers, 
你们什么时候需要义工?
and where do they report?  他们去哪儿报到?
I've got the council to agree 我已说服理事会同意
to open the building for us on the next four weekends. 
在往后四个周末开放那座建筑。
How about furnishings?  家具、摆设怎么办?
Are there any special requirements that I should list in the paper? 
有什么特别的需求要我列在报纸上的?
Yes. Here is a copy of all the things we need to start with.  
是的。这是我们开工所需的清单。
Let's see. Four desks.  让我瞧瞧。四张桌子、
Eight straight-back chairs. Thirty folding chairs.  
八张直背椅、三十张折叠椅、
Six table lamps. Three end tables. One piano. 
六个台灯、三张茶几、一台钢琴。
This is a good start. 这是个好的开端。
These items shouldn't be difficult to come by  
这些东西应该是不难弄到的,
once I print the article in the paper.  
一旦我将文章登报的话。
This community has always been very generous.  
这个社区一向是很热心公益的。
I agree, Mr. Maxwell. 
我有同感,Maxwell先生。
What you're saying is, in order for this center to succeed,  
你刚才所说的意思是,为了使中心能落成,
we need to put together volunteers  
我们需要招募义工
from the various generations of future users.  
向不同年龄层的可受益者招募。
That's right. 是的。
And without their energy and stamina,  
没有他们的体力和耐力,
there's no way we can complete this project. 
我们无法完成这项计划。
I've got it. Now give me some information about   
我知道了。现在再告诉我另一些情况,
how you see the building being used. 
你们计划如何使用这栋建筑。
Oh, here. On the ground floor we have the reception area ...  
噢,看这个。在楼下,我们会有一个接待区……
It's here, Robbie.  就在这里,Robbie。
Charles Maxwell lived up to his word.   
Charles Maxwell先生兑现了诺言。
"At the Stewart family home on Linden Street yesterday, 
“昨天在Linden街Stewart 的家中,
a group of caring Riverdale citizens gathered  
一群热心公益的Riverdale居民聚集在一起
to plan the refurbishing of the old library  
计划重新整修老图书馆,
to transform it into a new community center.  
将之变成新的社区中心。
The original plan by the council 
社区理事会原有此计划,
was tabled because of lack of funds.  
因为缺乏经费被无限期地搁置。
The new plan needs you. 
这项新计划需要你的协助。
You could call it a community unity plan. 
大家可称这为“社区团结行动”。
It needs your time, and it needs your energy. 
它需要你的时间,需要你的力气。
And it needs your contributions of furniture, 
也需要你捐献家具、
paint, brushes, ladders, lamps, et cetera.  
油漆、刷子、梯子、灯等等。
A list of these items and a volunteer form  
这些物品的清单和义工申请表格
can be picked up at the Riverdale Press offices.  
可到Riverdale社区各办事处索取。
By working together,  透过共同工作,
this community can do anything to benefit its citizens,  
这个社区可做任何造福居民的事情。
and we know you will all work together  
我们相信各位会共同出力
towards refurbishing the old library 
去重新整修老图书馆,
and making it a new community center.  
使它成为一个新的社区中心。
Charles Maxwell, Editor."   
编辑,Charles Maxwell。”


用户评论

表情0/300

wendy_v8

LEGO

wendy_v8 回复 @wendy_v8

乐高

wendy_v8

第69课!

wendy_v8

支持✊

wendy_v8

我赌不会有20赞以上不然我就倒立洗头

华语乐谈MVP亲子播客

Hope to be a bigger help on the new community-center project. 

猜你喜欢
走遍美国

《走遍美国》(台译《欢乐美语》)(FamilyAlbumU.S.A.)是一套在大陆畅销数百万册、在全球35个国家同步使用的生活化美语教材。由美国新闻总署赞助...

by:凝雪幽兰夜

走遍美国

扫描以下公众号二维码,获取更多中小学英语学习知识共享

by:北京中小学英语

走遍美国

走遍美国教材音频

by:喵小懒_

走遍美国

《走遍美国》(台译《欢乐美语》)(FamilyAlbumU.S.A.)是一套在大陆畅销数百万册、在全球35个国家同步使用的生活化美语教材。由美国新闻总署赞助...

by:江南西道小镇

走遍美国

familyalbumUSA

by:远美轩

走遍美国

《走遍美国》内容以住在纽约的一家三代人的生活为中心,内容涉及美国各地风土人情、社会生活的许多方面。所有演员都是优秀的专业演员,他们美语发音清晰、体态语言丰富,其...

by:大白宋