The quiet power of introverts
中英文文稿:
I am an introvert and I love it.
我是个内向的人,我喜欢这样的自己。
And I'm not alone.
我并不孤单。
Introverts are everywhere, and our quiet approach to life, our need for solitary time, isn't a flaw - it's a gift.
因为世界上充满内向的人,而我们以安静的方式生活,我们需要拥有孤独的时间,这不是缺点一一而是礼物。
But as an introvert it's not always easy to realise how wonderful you are.
但内向的人其实不容易了解自己有多好。
The world feels like a place that rewards extroverts.
这个世界似乎总是在奖励外向的人。
Where being loud is mistaken for being confident and happy.
说话大声被当成自信与快乐。
Where everyone has something to say, but nobody listens.
人人都有话要说,却没有人把话听完。
A world of open-plan offices, netwong parties, and big personalities.
这个世界喜欢开放式办公室、建立人脉的派对、个性外放的人。
For those who speak softly, it's easy to feel left out.
那些温柔说话的人很容易感觉自己格格不入。
As a child, I blended into the background.
我小时候会试图融入人群。
Many thought that I had little to say or that I simply didn't like others.
很多人会觉得我话很少,或我单纯不喜欢其他人。
But that wasn't true.
但并不是这样的。�
People often think that introverts are shy, or antisocial.
大家都会觉得内向的人很害羞,或甚至有反社会人格。
But these are misconceptions.
但这其实是误解。�
Introverts, like anyone, can find socialising fun.
内向的人和大家一样,都会觉得社交很有趣。
But while parties leave extroverts energised, after some time, introverts need to recharge. . . away from everyone.
外向的人参加派对后会充满活力,但内向的人在派对一段时间后就需要充电,远离人群。
There is a scientific theory for this.
这其实是有科学根据的。
There are two important chemicals found in all our brains - dopamine and acetylcholine.
我们脑中有两种重要的化学物质:多巴胺和乙酰胆碱。
Dopamine is like a hit of energy when we take risks or meet new people - and it makes extroverts feel great.
冒险或认识新朋友时,多巴胺就会像一股能量一让外向的人有很棒的感受。
But introverts are more sensitive to dopamine and get quickly over- stimulated.
但内向的人对多巴胺比较敏感,短时间内就会被过度刺激。
That's why we prefer the more slow-burn feeling we get when our brains release acetylcholine.
这也是为什么我们比较喜欢脑中释放乙酰胆碱时平稳和缓的感受。
That happens when we concentrate, read, or focus our minds.
在我们专注、阅读或集中精神的时候,脑中就会释放乙酰胆碱。
It makes us introverts feel relaxed, alert and content.�
这会让内向者感到放松、灵敏与满足。
But it barely registers with extroverts.�
却不太会对外向者产生作用。
Of course, like anything, it's a sliding scale.
但当然,这和大多数事情一样,是浮动的。
You can lean one way or another.�
你有可能有时候偏外向,有时候又偏内向。
Or be a bit of both - known as an ambivert.�
或者两种特质都有一点一是个综合性格的人。
Now I understand myself better, I am deeply grateful for how I am.
我现在更了解自己了,我很感谢自己是这样的人。
Instead of filling up space with small talk, I listen patiently and make my words matter.
比起用交谈填补对话时的空白,我会耐心听别人说话,并让自己说出的话有意义。
I have few friends but our connection is deep.
我朋友不多,但彼此之间的连结深刻。
I love spending time alone.
我享受独处的时间。
It's where the chaos of a long day can finally settle.
这是一整天的混乱终于可以尘埃落定的时刻。
I can reflect and listen to my thoughts, and eventually reconnect with myself.
我能反思并倾听内心的声音,最终与自己重新连结。
Only after that am I ready to share with the world again.
只有在这样之后,我才能准备好再次向世界敞开心房。
I have learnt strategies for finding comfort in our noisy world - from using music to create bubbles of peace, to escaping to a quiet park at lunchtime.
我已经在这吵闹的世界中找到让自己感到舒适的方法,让音乐建立起一个宁静的泡泡,或在午餐时间逃离到安静的公园。
I adore the intensity and chaotic beauty of the world.
我喜欢世界强烈混乱的美。
But it's in quiet spaces where I feel truly at home.
但唯有安静的空间才能让我真正感到自在。
If introversion were more valued by society, it could make a massive difference to our collective future.
如果社会能更重视内向特质,我们的未来一定会有很大的不同。
The unique attributes of introverts really are a deep, quiet strength.
内向者独特的特质其实是一种深沉、安静的力量。
And as Gandhi, put it, "In a gentle way, you can shake the world".
如同甘地说的: "你能以温柔的方式撼动世界。
用户评论