Like several graduates, James is a combat veteran.
同其他数位毕业生一样詹姆斯是一位战场老兵,
And I would ask all of us here today to stand and pay tribute not only to the veterans among us,
我要求今天在场的所有人站起来向我们中间的老兵,
but to the more than 2.5 million Americans who haveserved in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as theirfamilies.
以及在伊拉克和阿富汗服役过的250多万美国军人,以及他们的家人致敬。
This is a particularly useful time for America to reflect on those who have sacrificed so much forour freedom, a few days after Memorial Day.
阵亡将士纪念日就在几天前,在今天,美国理应感谢所有军人为自由所作出的贡献,
You are the first class to graduate since 9/11 who may not be sent into combat in Iraq or Afghanistan.
你们是911袭击后第一届不用被送上伊拉克或阿富汗作战的毕业生。
When I first spoke at West Point in 2009 we still had more than 100,000 troops in Iraq.
2009年,我第一次来西点演讲时,我们还有超过10万驻军位于伊拉克,
We were preparing to surge in Afghanistan.
我们还打算在阿富汗增兵,
Our counterterrorism efforts were focused on al Qaeda's core leadership those who had carriedout the 9/11 attacks.
我们的反恐精力主要集中在打击基地组织的领导核心,正是这些人实施了911袭击。
And our nation was just beginning a long climb out of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.
而我们的国家正在经历大萧条后最严重的经济危机,
Four and a half years later, as you graduate the landscape has changed.
四年半后在你们毕业的今天,情况发生了重大变化,
We have removed our troops from Iraq.
我们已从伊拉克撤军。
We are winding down our war in Afghanistan.
我们在阿富汗的战争也逐渐缓和,
Al Qaeda's leadership on the border region between Pakistan and Afghanistan has been decimated, and Osama bin Laden is no more.
基地组织在巴基斯坦和阿富汗交界区域的领导已经被摧毁,奥萨马·本·拉登也已被抹杀。
用户评论