- You've probably heard people say that you shouldn't leave your phone plugged in overnight.
可能有人告诉过你,不要让手机整晚都插着电。
Doing so depreciates your battery life and makes it age faster.
否则会降低电池寿命,损伤电池。
You're killing your battery!
你在损害电池!
I always charge my phone overnight,and I always let it reach a full 100% charge.
我总是手机充一整晚电,直到充满为止。
Am I really killing my battery? Am I a murderer?
难道我真的损害电池了?我是凶手吗?
I can't live with this guilt,so I called up some battery experts to find the truth.
我可没有,所以我向电池专家寻求真相了。
Daniel Steingart,Associate Professor at Princeton University told me that,actually: - The easiest thing to do is just keep it plugged in all the time or as much as you can.
普林斯顿大学机械工程的副教授丹尼尔·斯坦加特告诉我:让它一直充电,要么能充多久就充多久。
Did you hear that?
你听到了吗?
I'll say it again,"as much as you can".
我再重复一次,“能充多久就充多久”。
The way he sees is it is that we all need our phones ready and charged,so we might as well keep them fully charged forever.
他认为,我们需要手机时刻准备着为我们服务,所以它们最好都是充满电的。
Your phone is pretty smart,and its software recognizes when it reaches full charge,so you can't technically overcharge your battery.
手机是很智能的,如果电充满了,手机软件就会自动识别,所以严格来说,我们不可能充电过度。
Problem solved!
问题解决啦!
But not really.
但也没有完全解决。
I also called Venkat Srinivasan,the Director of the Argonne Collaborative Center for Energy Storage Science,and he told me: Don't charge the battery all the way to 100%.
我又咨询了阿贡能源储存科学合作中心主任文卡特·斯里尼瓦桑,他说:不要把电池充到100%。
Get it up to 90% and then stop it.
90%就可以了。
He never lets his phone reach a full charge,what?
他从来不把手机充满电,为什么呢?
He says we should keep our phones between 30% and 80% charged because once they reach 100%,certain reactions occur that degrade the electrolytes and depreciate our batteries.
他说,我们给手机充电的时候,电量最好到30%到80%之间。因为电池一旦充满,就有可能出现某种会降低电解质,损害电池的反应。
So this is probably where that overcharging myth comes from.
这大概就是“过度充电谣言”的来源了。
Alright,so I went back to Dan,and I asked him to clarify.
所以我又去问了丹,想让他解释一下。
Like,Venkat says you're wrong.
比如,文卡特说你的做法是错的。
And Dan told me that both of them are actually right.
丹告诉我,其实他们都对。
So,awesome,you do damage your battery when you charge it to 100%.
也就是说,如果你把电池充满电的话,你确实是在损害它。
But if you're going for the full charge already,keeping it there doesn't harm it.
但如果电池已经充满了,继续充电并不会耗损电池。
Basically,if you are a normal human who just needs their phone out all the time,feel free to go to 100% and keep it plugged in forever.
总的来说,对于需要一直使用手机的普通人来说,这样做其实无伤大雅。
But if you care a lot about your battery's life,like,a lot,a lot,or you don't use your phone that much,go Venkat's route and try to keep it in a narrow charging range.
但如果你非常非常在意电池寿命,或者你不太使用手机,那么你应该遵从文卡特的做法。
I admire your discipline,and maybe you'll extend your battery's lifespan.
我很欣赏的自律,也许你真能延长电池的使用寿命。
Ultimately,though,batteries are meant to be used,and phones are meant to be used too.
最后,电池是拿来使用的,手机也是。
You don't do any damage by leaving it at 100.
任它一直保持在满格的状态并不会损害电池。
You'll probably replace your phone before your battery totally dies.
你也许在电池彻底坏掉之前就换手机了。
Or in a worst case scenario,you replace the battery.
或者更糟糕一点,你要更换电池。
That's not so bad.
这也没那么糟。
Okay,glad we settled this. Go live your truth,keep it 100,goodbye.
那么我们今天就到这里。活出真实的自己,想怎么充电就怎么充电,拜拜。
木小庸
应该没有大影响吧