Sonnet 78
So oft have I invoked thee for my Muse,
我常常把你当诗神向你祷告,
And found such fair assistance in my verse
在诗里找到那么有力的神助,
As every alien pen hath got my use
以致凡陌生的笔都把我仿效,
And under thee their poesy disperse.
在你名义下把他们的诗散布。
Thine eyes, that taught the dumb on high to sing
你的眼睛,曾教会哑巴们歌唱,
And heavy ignorance aloft to fly,
曾教会沉重的愚昧高飞上天,
Have added feathers to the learned’s wing
又把新羽毛加给博学的翅膀,
And given grace a double majesty.
加给温文尔雅以两重的尊严。
Yet be most proud of that which I compile,
可是我的诗应该最使你骄傲,
Whose influence is thine, and born of thee:
它们的诞生全在你的感召下:
In others’ works thou dost but mend the style,
对别人的作品你只润饰格调,
And arts with thy sweet graces graced be;
用你的美在他们才华上添花。
But thou art all my art, and dost advance
但对于我,你就是我全部艺术,
As high as learning my rude ignorance.
把我的愚拙提到博学的高度。
梁宗岱 译
用户评论