Did you have forks or knives in the old days?
以前有刀叉吗?
Forks and knives?
刀叉?
Oh, sure, and spoons.
当然有,还有汤匙。
- Hello. - Hi.
- 哈啰。 - 嗨。
- Hi, Micah. - Hi.
- 嗨,Micah。 - 嗨。
- I'm Alice.
- 我是Alice。
- Nice to meet you, Malice. - Alice.
- 很高兴认识你,Malice。 - 是Alice。
- Alice, oh, sorry.
抱歉,Alice。
- What is your name?
你叫什么名字?
- Clara. - Clara?
- Clara - Clara?
I'm very happy to meet you.
很高兴认识你。
- What are we here to talk about?
我们要在这儿聊些什么?
- Well, I think it might be how old I am.
我想应该是聊聊我有多老吧。
- How old are you?
你几岁了?
- I'm in my hundred and first year.
今年 101 岁。
101. (gasps)
101岁。
- 101? - Right.
- 101岁? - 对啊。
Did you ever know anybody else that old?
你知道有谁跟我一样老吗?
- No. - I don't even know anybody else that old.
- 不知道 - 我也不知道有谁跟我一样老。
- Where are you from?
你来自哪里?
- Well, originally, I was born in Philadelphia, way, way over on the east coast.
我出生在费城,是在东部沿岸的一个地方。
- I was born in New York City.
我在纽约出生。
- Oh, you were?
真的吗?
So, you were born in the east too.
那你也是出生在东部?
- Yeah. - How was it like back then?
- 对啊。- 那时候的生活是什么样子?
- We didn't have radio, we didn't have television.
我们没有收音机,也没有电视。
No telephones, when I was a little girl.
我还是个小女孩的时候也没有电话。
There were not any trucks.
没有任何货车。
They had wagons, and horses pulled them.
只有用马儿拉动的货运马车。
- Wow, that must've been a long time ago.
那一定是很久以前了。
- It was a long, long time ago.
对,那是很久很久以前了。
- Back then, did you see any wars?
在那时候你有看过战争吗?
- I did, and I was in the war.
有,而且我也参与其中。
I was in the second World War.
在第二次世界大战。
We worked on decoding and encoding machines, very secret work.
我们负责操作译码和编码器,这是一个很机密的工作。
The officers had guns, and they said, if you told any of the secrets, they would shoot you dead.
军官都配戴枪枝,而且他们说如果说出任何秘密,他们就会射杀你。
But nobody got shot.
不过没有人被射杀。
- Good then. - Yeah.
- 幸好。 - 对啊。
- What would you do for fun?
你的兴趣是什么?
- Oh, when I was a little girl?
我还是小女孩的时候吗?
I had dolls and blocks.
我有洋娃娃和也有积木。
But I really liked boys' things.
但是我真的蛮喜欢男孩子的玩具。
I liked marbles and tops.
我喜欢弹珠和陀螺。
And I thought boys were much luckier than girls.
而且我觉得男孩比女孩幸运多了。
We had to wear skirts and stockings, even in the coldest weather.
我们必须穿裙子和长袜,就算在很冷的天气也一样。
They didn't have slacks or pants for girls.
女孩没有裤子。
- Girls couldn't wear pants?
女孩不能穿裤子?
- That's true.
没错。
- That is not fair. - No.
- 好不公平。 - 是啊。
- What is your job?
你的工作是什么?
- Oh, my job was teaching in a college.
我之前在大学教书。
But I retired a long time ago.
但是我在很久以前就退休了。
And I taught biology.
我教生物学。
And if you look at my shirt, you'll see some of the things I've taught about.
如果仔细看我的衬衫,你会发现有我之前所教的一些动物。
Could you possibly know what this one is?
你知道这是什么吗?
- Oh, that's a spider.
是一只蜘蛛。
- Well, wonderful.
对啊,没错。
- What's your favorite insect?
你最喜欢的昆虫是什么?
- Ants, I did research on ants.
蚂蚁,我之前做蚂蚁相关研究。
But you know what an ant looks like, don't you?
但是你知道蚂蚁长什么样,对吧?
- Yeah, it's like this tiny.
对,长的像这么小。
They can carry a big thing, like a banana.
他们可以搬运大型的东西,像是香蕉。
Like, three of them can, even though they're this tiny.
只要三只就可以了,就算他们这么小一只。
- You're very good, and you're only six years old?
你好厉害,你只有六岁吗?
- What do you like to do for fun?
你现在的兴趣是什么?
- Well, right now, I'm watching the Olympics.
现在我会看奥运会。
And I write books, I do puzzles.
写书或玩猜谜游戏。
I enjoy email, I write to a lot of friends.
我也喜欢写信,我写给很多朋友。
I even play Scrabble, do you know how to play Scrabble?
也喜欢玩拼字游戏,你知道怎么玩吗?
No? - No.
- 不知道吗? - 不知道。
- You should ask somebody to play Scrabble.
你可以邀请其他人一起玩。
It's lots of fun.
很好玩。
Also, I try to get exercise every day.
而且我试着每天运动。
- Every day?
每天?
- Yep. - Good.
- 对啊。 - 真棒。
- Some old people aren't very well anymore.
一些老人的身体不再硬朗。
- Yeah. - Some of them can't remember things.
- 对啊 - 有些老人已经不能记住事情了。
Some of them are really lame, and they have to have somebody help them.
有些不良于行,而且需要其他人来帮忙。
But I can do everything myself.
但是我所有事都自己来。
- That's good. - And that's good.
- 真棒。 - 对啊,真棒。
- And that means you're really old, but you're really good at it.
这就代表虽然你很老了但是你还是很擅长做这些事。
- Yeah, and I enjoy life.
对啊,而且我很享受生活。
- What is the hardest part about getting old?
变老最难受的事是什么?
- You miss people.
你会失去很多人。
字幕长度限制,完整版可前往“每日英语听力”APP搜索关键词“孩子对话百岁老人”即可查看,更有许多功能等你解锁~
听友456522655
插个嘴