Hi everyone, welcome to the Leisure Park.
Today I want to share with you some quotes from the film ‘Green book’(《绿皮书》)
The movie was adapted from the true story of a road trip in the early 1960s. In the film, the black pianist Don Shirley hires Italian-American Tony to drive him to performances, but they face problems because of Shirley’s skin color. These problems lead them to form a special friendship. The green book is actually a set of list of friendly businesses in New York City, made by a black mail carrier named Victor H. Green. It helped African-Americans live and travel more safely during the Jim Crow laws period. It’s a forgotten part of the story. Thanks to this movie, people can remember it again.
该片改编自发生在上世纪60年代美国南部的一段驾车旅行的真实故事。影片中,黑人钢琴师唐•谢利雇佣意大利裔美国人托尼做司机,一路开车南下巡演。但是由于谢利的肤色,他们遇到了种种问题。而这些问题却使两人建立了一段特殊的友情。《绿皮书》实际上是一个纽约市友善的企业名单,由一位名叫维克多•H•格林的黑人邮差制作。《绿皮书》在《吉姆•克劳法》存在的年代为非裔美国人的安全出行提供了帮助。它是这个历史故事被遗忘的部分。正因为这部电影,人们才可能再次记起它的存在。
Now let’s get to the film.
1. Rich white people pay me to play the piano for them because it makes them feel educated. But once I get off the stage, I'm gonna go back to them and be another nigger. Because that's their real culture. I bear this alone, because I am not accepted by my people, because I am not like them! So, if I'm not black enough, if I'm not white enough, if I'm not manly enough, then tell me, Tony, what am I?
有钱的白人付钱让我为他们弹钢琴,因为这让他们觉得有教养。但一旦我走下舞台,我就会回到他们身边,成为另一个黑鬼。因为那才是他们真正的文化。我独自承受着这一点,因为我不被我的人民所接受,因为我也不像他们!所以,如果我不够黑,如果我不够白,如果我不够男子汉,那就告诉我,托尼,我是什么?
2. The world is full of lonely people waiting to make the first move.
世界上孤独的人都害怕迈出第一步。
3. You will never win with violence. Tony, You only win when you maintain your dignity. Dignity always prevails.
托尼,你永远不会通过暴力取胜。只有保持尊严才能战胜一切。
4. Being genius is not enough, it takes courage to change people's hearts
成为天才是不够的,还需要勇气改变人们的心灵。
5. My father used to say, whatever you do, do it a hundred percent. When you work, work, when you laugh, laugh, when you eat, eat like it is your last meal。
我父亲曾经说过,无论你做什么,百分之百地做,工作就工作,笑就笑,吃每顿饭的时候要像你在吃你人生的最后一顿饭。
6. Falling in love with you is the easiest thing I’ve ever done.
爱上你是我做过的最容易的事。
7. How did he manage to shake hands with them with a smile? Because it takes courage to get rid of stereotypes.
他怎么做到笑着跟他们握手的?因为去除成见,需要勇气。
8. There are all kinds of people in this world. It happens that we have become friends. This is not fate. It is just that we should be friends.
这世界上有各种各样的人,恰巧我们成为了朋友,这不是缘分,只仅仅是我们本就应该是朋友。
9. They didn't have a choice whether to be inside or out. You did.
他们没有选择是否进场的权力,但你有。
10. I been working nightclubs in the New York city my whole life…I know it is…complicated world.
我在纽约的夜店干了一辈子,我明白,这是个复杂的世界。
11. The distance between us is breaking my spirit.
我们之间的距离使我意志消沉。
12. My time and experiences without you are meaningless to me.
没有你的时光和旅程对我而言毫无意义。
今天的节目就到这里啦。欢迎订阅Leisure Park闲时公园。下期节目我们将一起探索哥伦比亚大学的著名雕像Alma mater的历史。See you next time.
列克星敦的幽灵
为什么不更新了?!
闲时公园 回复 @列克星敦的幽灵:
快了快了